24 May 2006

The two sweetest bikes I've ever owned, and they're goin' up on eBay tomorrow...

This one arrived the week between Christmas and New Year's Day back in '99. I'd wanted a road bike for months, and I could finally afford to plunk down the Visa for an employee purchase deal at the ol' bike shop. An '00 Bianchi Veloce, in a color scheme they hadn't done before or since. Italian-made steel frame. Every single component has been replaced at least once. It's as good a road bike as I'd really ever need, and it's in pristine condition. I'm gonna miss it.



This thing I just bought because I needed a geared mountain bike. I'd been all set to pick up a Kona Kaboom, this rough-an'-tumble singlespeed, when a slot opened up for 24 Hours of Snowshoe back in '01 and suddenly I needed a full-on XC mountain bike. More Italian-designed steel. Welded in Taiwan, but those folks know their stuff; the frame was as near-flawless as my Italian-made road bike. Again, all the parts have been swapped out once or twice since I bought it... well, almost. I think the front derailleur is original. And the fork. That fork has seen better days, and in the interests of full disclosure I think I'll point out in the eBay ad that it's probably time to replace it. This thing has been banged around and knocked down more often than I can remember. Not gonna miss it so much, though. Why? Check out the entry below. My grin should say it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home